It may be clichéd but it is true that the friendships that you make at University and at Liverpool Vet School will be some of the best of your life. The University of Liverpool Veterinary Alumni Association (ULVAA) was set up in 1991 with the aim of maintaining the relationships between former staff and students, and the School of Veterinary Science. Whilst studying at Liverpool we hope you will (have) become familiar with the work that the ULVAA does.
In the last few years we have donated funds to social events, including the Summer and Graduation Balls, supported sports teams, and made contributions to the library and teaching resources. We have also organised talks on Saturdays for students. The majority of these talks have involved Liverpool Alumni coming to speak to clinical students, and have been very much driven by the topics that YOU want information on. We hope to extend these talks to the pre-clinical years and welcome suggestions.
Your involvement with ULVAA and the University (hopefully) won’t stop when you graduate. We have our own website, you can follow us on our Facebook page, and when you graduate you will be asked if you want to sign up to receive alumni newsletters – both from the University as a whole and specifically from ULVAA. (If you are a member of alumni that is not receiving their newsletters e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to update your contact details). We also organise other events aimed at bringing alumni together – for example drinks receptions at conferences and CPD events.
The ULVAA is led by a committee. It is made up of graduates from Liverpool Vet School, who are elected to positions, as well as staff members from the School of Veterinary Science, student representatives and a representative from the University Alumni Relations Team to enable collaboration between all.
Chairman: Richard Sanderson BVSc 2009
· Interesting Fact: You may have seen Richard around campus recently helping to coordinate the production of Ben Fogle’s Animal Clinic.
· Favourite Place while studying at Liverpool: Richard’s favourite night out was Bar Cava followed by The Office.
Treasurer: John Ishmael BVSc 1963, MVSc 1967, PhD 1974
· Interesting Fact: John played on the Vet Rugby Team whilst at Liverpool
· Favourite Place while studying at Liverpool: John’s local while living at Leahurst was the Shrewsbury Arms more commonly known as The Shrew. Leahurst students of today may recognise this pub by its new name “The Hinderton Arms”.
· Interesting Fact: Nicola is currently back at Liverpool studying for a PhD, you may see her around campus.
· Favourite Place while studying at Liverpool: The Raz – says it all really
Events Officer: John Tandy BVSc 1957
· Interesting Fact: John has been president of BVA, SPVS and BVHA!
· Favourite Place while studying at Liverpool: John was a bit of a beer connoisseur when he was at Liverpool. While based in Liverpool he spent most of his time in Mrs Macs Pub which was behind the student union, near where anatomy and pathology classes were held.
Committee Members without portfolio: Roger Ewbank OBE BVSc 1957
· Interesting Fact: Roger not only studied at Liverpool but also came back to teach animal husbandry for nearly 20 years.
Head of School: Professor Susan Dawson Secretary: Rachel Atkins Academic Representative: TBC President of LUVS: Katie Burden Vice-President of LUVS: Harry Harwood/Imogen Frame Alumni Relations Representative: Caroline Mitchell
The easiest way to get in touch with the alumni committee is to contact your student representatives who can pass on your comments to us directly or at a committee meeting.